[Sca-cooks] Real bacon (now custard)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Oct 6 04:53:37 PDT 2004

At 04:31 AM 10/6/2004, you wrote:
>At 12:50 AM 10/6/04, Jadwiga wrote:
>>Not only are we not custard concious, we really don't even talk about
>>custard. Are you discussing frozen custard, or something along the lines
>>of what Americans would call vanilla pudding?
>Well, difficult to say... what _do_ Americans call vanilla pudding?
>;>.  Actually, other posts have covered this; custard is a milk or cream
>sauce, thickened with eggs and sweetened, usually cooked in a double
>boiler or it curdles. Use in place of cream on most desserts.  Or in
>addition to cream, if you're my non-health-conscious late
>grandmother.  Not frozen, no.

Most of the stuff I've had is a little firmer than sauce- think tapioca or
rice pudding (though not as bumpy!) and you're pretty close. Or the Mexican
_flan_.

>Here in South Africa we can get custard powder or the premade version,
>stored, as someone else noticed, in cardboard cartons like fruit
>juice.  My friend couldn't even find the powder anywhere in America,
>though.   We do get the flavoured versions, a few of them - caramel comes
>to mind.  The standard stuff is pretty heavily vanilla and, as Adamantius
>notes, is artificially stabilised.  Very creamy, smooth, pouring
>consistency.  Curiously comfort food, actually, despite its obvious
>artificiality.

You find it in the same row as other 'Jell-o' products. Of the powdered
kind, I like the chocolate fudge and butterscotch. The premade I like the
'Cozy Shack' brand, in chocolate, butterscotch, and rice budding. Their
version of dulce de leche has an odd, slightly metallic taste, to my mouth
at least.

And oh- when I make the powdered kind, I like to make it sit so it has a
skin on it. Dunno why, I just do.

Oh man, now I'm jonesing for some butterscotch pudding...

'Lainie