[Sca-cooks] Real bacon (now custard)

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Wed Oct 6 04:31:51 PDT 2004

At 12:50 AM 10/6/04, Jadwiga wrote:
>Not only are we not custard concious, we really don't even talk about
>custard. Are you discussing frozen custard, or something along the lines
>of what Americans would call vanilla pudding?
Well, difficult to say... what _do_ Americans call vanilla pudding?
;>.  Actually, other posts have covered this; custard is a milk or cream
sauce, thickened with eggs and sweetened, usually cooked in a double boiler
or it curdles. Use in place of cream on most desserts.  Or in addition to
cream, if you're my non-health-conscious late grandmother.  Not frozen, no.

Here in South Africa we can get custard powder or the premade version,
stored, as someone else noticed, in cardboard cartons like fruit juice.  My
friend couldn't even find the powder anywhere in America, though.   We do
get the flavoured versions, a few of them - caramel comes to mind.  The
standard stuff is pretty heavily vanilla and, as Adamantius notes, is
artificially stabilised.  Very creamy, smooth, pouring
consistency.  Curiously comfort food, actually, despite its obvious
artificiality.

thanks to all commenters - we now return you to your scheduled bacon
question, which I have successfully sidetracked... there is no end to my evil!

JdH

Baroness Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
There is only one rule in the SCA: "Thou shalt not be tacky". All the rest
is commentary. (Barak Raz, Silverwing's Laws 1).