[Sca-cooks] German texts

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 06:02:24 PDT 2004

Greetings Huette,
Pfefferkuchen. I honestly do not know where they originated, but I suspect
from Nuremberg, because they're a (sharper)variant of Lebkuchen. A quick
netsearch gave over 17700 links for Pfefferkuchen, including recipes from
Finland and Sweden.
Trude Ehlert states in her redaction of Sabina Welserin's Lebkuchen:
"If the spices are not powdered, the Lebkuchen will be sharper:
Pfefferkuchen." (Kochbuch des Mittelalters; Sabina Welserin 163)
Both Pfeffernüsse and Pfefferkuchen got their names because of their
sharpness, not becauuse there's pepper in either of them and not because
their somehow related.
Hoping to be of assistance,
kai

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee

GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail