[Sca-cooks] Pears in cream?

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Wed Oct 6 08:47:51 PDT 2004

>  From a quick search, I can't find *any* pears-in-cream type recipes in
> the following sources:
> 	Forme of Cury
> 	Liber cure cocorum
> 	Libro di cucina / Libro per cuoco
> 	Le Menagier de Paris (Janet Hinson, trans.)
> 	A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye
> 	Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books
> 	Le Viandier de Taillevent
>
> That doesn't mean it's not period though.  Any clues on what part of
> the world it's supposed to be from?
>
> - Doc

Not a one! It's one of those "seems right" sort of things so I never
questioned it. Pare and slice the pears, then whip the heavy cream slightly
while adding a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg and a dash of sweeting (sugar or
honey), then heat and add the pear - heat without boiling and then serve hot
or cold. Easy, tasty, and until just a few hours ago, never questioned. I
hate it when I do that (the never questioned part).

   I figured middle-Europe due to the use of cream and pears together and
later-period because of the addition of sugar or sweetening, but beyond
that... I'm beginning to fear that I was misinformed.

Not that I'll stop preparing it for dessert on a personal basis, of course.
Yummy, it is!

Hrothny