[Sca-cooks] Re: Pie toppings (getting OOP)

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 6 10:53:13 PDT 2004

>      And if you're talking hot apple pie, there's always the option
> of topping the thing with a slice of good, sharp cheddar cheese (let
> the pie melt the cheese and then enjoy).  That seems to be something
> of an American-ism; I know a Canadian friend of mine who heard about
> the practice was both shocked and appalled, and couldn't imagine
> whoever first thought of such a thing . . .
>
>                 -- Ruth

S'OK, I'm as American as... as... as... PBJs, and I never could figure the
deal with ice cream on apple or any other pie- the ice cream melts into soup,
and you wind up with soggy pie to boot. I'll take mine in a seperate dish,
thanks. And, I never discovered the cheddar cheese thing until I was an adult
and moved to the Midwest. While I like cheddar cheese with my pie, I like to
do a bite of cheese, and a bite of pie, seperately. The two flavors are
complementary, as are the flavors and temperatures in pie with ice cream, but
mixed, you have a soggy mess, particularly, if like me, you prefer your fruit
pies heated.

Saint Phlip,
CoD