[Sca-cooks] Re: Pie toppings (getting OOP)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 12:57:09 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Avraham haRofeh <avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org>

A quick review of online resources seems to indicate that it is indeed an
"old Yankee tradition".

Was it this list that recently reviewed regional definitions of "Yankee"?
Anywhere else in the country, a Yankee is a Northeasterner. In the
Northeast, a Yankee is from Maine, and in Maine a Yankee is from "down
east".

I beg to differ.  My lord was born in Massachusetts and raised in New Hampshire, and he considered himself a true Yankee.  On occasion, when tasting some restaurant's bastardized version of apple crisp, he would mutter darkly about its being an insult to his ethnic cuisine.  And yes, he considered sharp cheddar the most appropriate topping for apple pie.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net