[Sca-cooks] OT: name translation Arabic

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 11:51:25 PDT 2004

Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:

>this is off topic, i know, so please reply to me privately. but can anyone
>tell me what the arabic word for "thistle" would be?

http://web.odu.edu/webroot/instr/sci/plant.nsf/pages/thistles

"The Old Testament word for thistle, chowach, is cognate with the modern
Arabic, shawk-thorn. This is sometimes translated as thorn or thistle.
In the first reference to armed plants in the Bible, Genesis 3:18, "It
[the cursed ground] will produce thorns and thistles for you, and you
will eat the plants of the field." The word translated thorn is qots.
Thus, the two words (as well as several others) can be translated as
thistle or thorn."

It's not so very off-topic;  this writer also discusses edible thistles,
including the garden artichoke and safflower.

Selene