[Sca-cooks] looking for middle eastern

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 11:59:33 PDT 2004

Lady Sionnan wrote:
>Hi there.  I am looking to plan an event for this year in which it will have
>a definite middle eastern theme (thousand and one arabian nights,
>Concordia's crystal snowflake ball).  I am looking to instead of a feast
>provide what amounts to a never ending buffet through out the day and was
>wondering what suggestions people might have as to where to look for
>recipes, recipes or dishes.

I've sent out recipes to several Laurel Vigils for Near or Middle
Eastern personae. Since a Laurel Vigil is often something of a never
ending buffet, i think they would be suitable.

Here's a recent collection of recipes i sent to someone in Canada
(i'm in The West). There are a couple non-period items which are
marked as such.

I'm send it in three parts as it is rather long

Anahita

----- MENU -----

BREAD
I suggest using Lavosh and any other Middle Eastern flat breads you
can find. I get Persian and Afghani breads where i live. But Pita
will do - pita as we know it is not like period breads - i can find
no suggestion that they ate such a tough bread with a pocket.
You can also use Ak-mak crackers (in health food stores and Middle
Eastern markets in the US) - although from what i can gather, folks
would have dampened the crackers to soften them.

DIPS
Sals Abyad = White Sauce - Spiced Walnut-Sesame Butter
Badhinjan Buran = Princess Buran's Eggplant - pureed with yogurt and spices
Isfanakh Mutajjan - Stir-fried Spinach

SAVORY SIDES
Zaitun Mubakhkhar - Smoked and Spiced Olives
Jazr - Carrots with spiced oil and vinegar dressing
Minted Cucumber Fresh Pickle
Moroccan Carrot, Orange & Radish Salad - MODERN

MEATS
Andalusian "deviled" eggs
Thumiyya - Chicken with garlic, lavender, and spices
Barida - chicken cucumber salad
merguez - lamb sausages with spices and lavender flowers
Andalusian Spiced Meatballs - while recipe calls for lamb these can
be beef, turkey, whatever
Sinab - Mustard-almond-honey sauce for meatballs

SWEETS
Rutab Mu'assal - Honeyed Dates - stuffed with almonds, scented with rosewater
Sliced Oranges with Rosewater and Cinnamon
Lauzinaj - Phyllo-wrapped rose-scented marzipan
carrot paste
hais
bowls of dried fruit - especially apricots
and nuts (no pecans or peanuts or cashews)
but walnuts, almond, filberts/hazelnuts, and pine nuts are good

BEVERAGES
beverage syrups:
lemon
pomegrante
mint

Coffee - is period only for the very late 15th and the 16th centuries
even in the Near East. But what the heck, i drink it at events and my
persona is from the first half of the 10th century. I use my version
of Paula Wolfert's Ras al-hanout for Coffee. I drink my coffee and
tea unsweetened, but coffee with this ras al-hanout is definitely
better slightly sweetened - the sugar seems to bring out the flavors
of the spices, gums, and flowers in the blend.

Masala Chai - As far as i can tell it isn't period, but it's tasty
and warming. Hearing it called "chai tea" drives me nuts, and i was
already close enough to walk.  "Chai" means "tea", so that's like
saying "tea tea". Well, enough ranting. Masala chai is tasty and
warming, as i said, and i like it myself with milk and no sweetener.

----- RECIPES PART ONE -----

SALS ABYAD (WHITE SAUCE) - SPICED WALNUT-SESAME BUTTER
Serves 100 - 150

NOTE: If you make this ahead of time, keep in the refrigerator. It
won't need to be kept refrigerated while travelling. Add water and
more lemon juice on-site before serving.

The name of this dish is from some European word for sauce. The
recipe is purely Near Eastern, however. Mustard was used to spike up
some dishes. In Southwest Asia cooks used powdered mustard seed,
while in al-Andalus and al-Maghrib they used prepared mustard.

Original Recipe:
Walnuts, garlic, pepper, Chinese cinnamon, white mustard, tahineh and
lemon juice.
The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods = al-Kitab Wasf
al-At'ima al-Mu'tada, 1373[complete text translated and introduced by
Charles Perry, Medieval Arab Cookery], p. 389

My Recipe:

4 pounds walnuts
4 quarts sesame tahini
several ounces prepared garlic paste with NO additives or preservatives
2 Tablespoons pepper
1/4 cup powdered cinnamon
2 ounces yellow mustard powder
juice from 10 lemons

1. Grind walnuts finely in blender or food processor.
2. In large bowl, stir together ground walnuts with 2 quarts of tahini
3. Mix garlic, pepper, cinnamon and mustard into one quart of tahini
4. Mix seasoned tahini into walnut-sesame paste.
5. Let stand overnight for flavors to develop.
6. Shortly before serving stir in fresh lemon juice
7. Serve with Near Eastern flat breads - I served Lavosh and a
Persian flat bread whose name I have forgotten.

NOTE: Use a Middle Eastern brand of sesame paste/tahini (Sahadi is
one such brand). Health food brands of sesame paste doesn't work as
well - they're rather thick and they're less oily.

NOTE:  I suspect this is supposed to be more liquid than the very
dense nut butter I got. When I make it again, I'll add enough water
and lemon juice to give this the consistency of modern
hummos-bi-tahihi. So shortly before serving, add water to the above
recipe. It will probably suck it up. So to make a dipping
consistancy, you'll need to add a fair bit. This will dilute the
flavors, so you'll need more lemon juice, too. RealLemon isn't very
good, but some of the brands in squeezable plastic bottles are decent.

--------------------

BADHINJAN BURAN (PRINCESS BURAN'S EGGPLANT) - EGGPLANT PUREED WITH
YOGURT AND SPICES
Serves 100 to 150

This is a dish of legend. And I may have created one of my own, as
people came up to me after the feast and confessed that they hated
eggplant and had eaten three servings of it. As for the history of
the dish, Charles Perry has an entire essay devoted to it in
"Medieval Arab Cookery". I'm sure that my interpretation was also
colored by all the multitude of other Buran and Buraniyya recipes I
read.

Original Recipe:
Take eggplant and boil lightly in water and salt, then take out and
dry for an hour. Fry this in fresh sesame oil until cooked: peel, put
into a dish or large cup, and beat well with a ladle, until it
becomes like khabis [pudding]. Add a little salt and dry coriander.
Take some Persian milk, mix in garlic, pour over the eggplant, and
mix together well. Take red meat, mince fine, make into small kabobs,
add melting fresh tail, throw the meat into it stirring until
browned. Then cover with water, and stew until the water has
evaporated and only the oils remain. Pour on top of this eggplant,
sprinkle with fine-ground cumin and cinnamon, and serve.

al-Baghdadi = al-Kitab al-Tabikh (The Book of Dishes) by Muhammad ibn
al-Hasan ibn Muhammad ibn Karim al-Katib al-Baghdadi, a 13th century
cookbook. On p. 59-60, Medieval Arab Cookery

My Recipe:

NOTE: This must be kept refrigerated or in a cooler until shortly
before serving. Allow to come to room temperature

12 pounds eggplant - I used the large ones because they were cheaper,
but I suspect that smaller Asian eggplants would be better
1 pint light sesame oil (or olive oil)
2 quarts whole milk yogurt with NO additives or thickeners - I used
Pavel's Russian Yogurt - there's nothing in it but milk and yogurt
culture - no gums, no gelatin, no thickeners, etc.
1/4 cup salt
1 Tablespoon pepper
2 to 3 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons ground coriander seed
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons ground cumin seed
Fresh mint
1 fresh pomegranate
1 pint whole milk yogurt

1. If using large eggplants, remove stem end and quarter. Small
eggplants, leave whole.
2. Boil briefly, until just barely tender. I did this in multiple
stages as all the eggplant wouldn't fit in one pot.
3. Put eggplant in a sieve or colander over a bowl or in a clean sink
and let drain. Again I did this in stages. I didn't drain the pieces
for a whole hour. After batches had drained for 15 minutes or so, I
removed them to a large bowl.
4. Put enough sesame oil in a large frying pan to cover the bottom,
then heat on a  medium-high fire.
5. When oil is hot, add some of drained eggplants - one layer of
eggplant only. Cook until tender, then remove - I drained them in a
colander as I removed them from the pan.
6. When all have been cooked and allowed to cool, puree them. I used
a food processor but a blender would work. And a potato masher or
ricer should work too.
7. When all the eggplants were pureed and in a big container, I added
two quarts of Pavel's yogurt. I honestly believe the quality of the
yogurt affected the taste of the finished dish. But use the best
plain yogurt you can find.
8. After mixing yogurt and eggplant, add spices. Allow to sit
overnight in a cool place for flavor to develop.
9. Peel pomegranate and remove white pith. Separate seeds into a bowl.
10. Dish eggplant into serving bowls, decorate the edge with fresh
mint leaves or sprigs, place a dollop of yogurt in the center of each
dish and top with pomegranate seeds.

---------------------

ISFANAKH MUTAJJAN - FRIED SPINACH

Original
al-Baghdadi's Book of Dishes, p. 79, in Medieval Arab Cookery
Take spinach, cut off the lower roots, and wash: then boil lightly in
salt and water, and dry. Refine sesame-oil, drop in the spinach, and
stir until fragrant. Chop up a little garlic, and add. Sprinkle with
fine-ground cumin, coriander seed, and cinnamon: then remove.

My version:
Serves 8 as a primary vegetable side dish

When I was in Morocco in Dec 2000-Jan 2001, I was served a dish very
like this in a "palace" restaurant in Fez. It was a real surprise to
find Baghdadi's 14th c. dish in 21st c. Morocco.

2 lb spinach
1/2 c sesame oil (cold pressed, NOT the roasted Asian kind)
6 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tsp. salt
1 t cumin
1 t coriander
1/2 t cinnamon

Parboil spinach in salted water 2-4 min. (or less).
Press out excess water and chop roughly.
Stir fry as recipe directs, adding spices toward the end.

NOTE: I make this at camping events. I buy frozen organic chopped
spinach. I pour it into a large skillet and cook until thawed. Then I
pour in the sesame oil and stir.  I push the spinach over to one
side, put inthe garlic, cook until soft, then add the other
ingredients, and stir well.

NOTE: It is likely that they didn't use spinach originally, but a
leafy green called orach. You can also use chard, but you'll need to
chop it first and par-boil it before putting it in the pan with the
seasonings.

NOTE: Cook ahead of time and keep chilled before serving. This can be
served at room temperature or warmed.

If you want to use this as a dip, you might try making it, cooling it
a little, then putting it in the blender for a smoother consistency.

---------------------

ZAITUN MUBAKHKHAR - SMOKED OLIVES
Serves 100 to 150 people

NOTE: If you make these ahead of time, keep in the refrigerator until
you leave. They won't need to be kept chilled while you're
travelling, if you serve them within a day or two

This recipe was quick and easy to make. The original calls for
smoking the olives. As I don't have the necessary equipment, I added
a few drops of smoke flavor to the drained olives.

Original Recipe:
Take olives when fully ripe. If you want take them black, and if you
want take them green, except that the green are better for smoking.
Bruise them and put some salt on them, as much as needed, and turn
them over every day until the bitterness goes away. When they throw
off liquid, pour it off. When the bitterness is gone from them,
spread them out on a woven tray until quite dry.

Then pound peeled garlic and cleaned thyme, as much as necessary.
Take the quantity of a dirham of them, and a piece of walnut with its
meat in it, and a dirham of wax, and a piece of cotton immersed in
sesame oil, and a piece of date seed. Put these ingredients on a low
fire on a stove [kanun] and seal its door, and put the tray the
olives are in on top of it, and cover it with a tray so that it is
filled with the scent of this smoke, which does not escape. Then
leave it that way for a whole day.

Then you return them to a container large enough for them and mix the
pounded garlic and thyme with them, and a little crushed walnut meat,
and a handful of toasted sesame seeds. Take as much fresh sesame oil
as needed and fry it with cumin seeds, and throw them on it and mix
them with it.

Then take a greased pottery jug [barniyya] and smoke it in that
smoke. Put the olives in it and cover the top, and it is put up for
[several] days. It is not used until the sharpness of the garlic in
it is broken.

The Book of the Description of Familiar Foods = al-Kitab Wasf
al-At'ima al-Mu'tada, 1373 [complete text translated and introduced
by Charles Perry, Medieval Arab Cookery], p. 403

My Recipe:
4-1/2 pounds cracked green olives in brine, drained
	I bought Greek olives in a resealable plastic barrel for
under $10 at a Near Eastern food shop
a few drops liquid smoke flavoring
1-1/2 heads garlic, peeled
a couple tablespoons dried thyme or zataar herb
1 cup shelled walnuts
1 cup white sesame seeds
1-1/2 Tablespoons light sesame oil
2 to 3 Tablespoons whole cumin seeds

1. Drain olives well.
2. Add a few drops of smoke flavoring to the drained olives. Be sure
to mix very very well.
3. Crush garlic cloves in a food processor or by hand with in a
mortar with a pestle (the latter is what I did).
4. Add thyme to garlic and crush further.
5. Add garlic and thyme to olives. Blend well.
6. Crush walnuts medium-fine in a mortar with a pestle. Add to olives
and mix well.
7. Toast sesame seeds in a frying pan with NO oil, over medium to
medium-low heat, stirring very very frequently, until toasted fairly
evenly to a rich golden color - do NOT allow to burn.
8. Add sesame seeds to to olives and mix well.
9. Put a few tablespoons of sesame oil in frying pan, add several
tablespoons of whole cumin seeds, and cook on medium to medium-low
heat until cumin darkens slightly and aroma comes out. Be careful not
to burn. Stir into olives.
10. Taste. Add more smoke if necessary - use a sparing hand, as too
much is awful.
11. Let olives season for several days well covered in a cool place,
stirring once a day to distribute flavorings. I made them Tuesday
night and served them Saturday night.

NOTE: It is difficult to find plain zataar herb. Every shop I visited
that had zataar had the kind that was a blend of zataar herb, salt,
sesame seeds, and sumak. This blend is not suitable for this recipe.

A friend of mine of Lebanese descent suggested I try the herb called
"Greek oregano". This is NOT the standard oregano sold in
supermarkets, which is "Mexican oregano" and which flavor I do not
like. I did see "Greek oregano" in some of the Near Eastern markets
and will try it when I make these olives again, which I most
definitely will, as they were delicious.

---------------------

Jazr - pp. 92-93

This was printed in "In a Caliph's Kitchen" by David Waines. The book
is now out of print. I have not reproduced Waines' worked out
recipes, since they generally are very far from the originals. The
part below marked "Waines" is the modern author's comments on the
recipe.  Next is the original. I've never made this one, but you can
see my comments at the bottom...

WAINES: There are a few dishes in the medieval Arabic repertoire
where a vegetable is highlighted by itself. In this case it is used
to decorate the plate on which something else is served; it is, in
fact, a perfect accompaniment with a dish of plain rice. Carrots, at
least, can be treated on their own as the carrot family of plants
(which includes caraway, cumin, coriander, and dill, all common to
medieval Arab cooking) is characterized by strongly scented essential
oils. This recipe is thirteenth century Moroccan.
[Anahita sez: hmm-mmm, this might be in the 13th C. Andalusian Cookbook...]

ORIGINAL: Cut the carrots into pieces without peeling them. Select
the middle bits and cut each piece in half and cook in salted water.
Dry the pieces off and fry in a pan with fresh oil. Then pour over it
boiling vinegar with crushed garlic and caraway. One can then either
leave the carrot pieces without frying (or else place them after
frying) as decoration on a platter.

[My Comments: This is *VERY* like a modern Moroccan recipe - the
biggest differences are that the modern recipe uses cumin, not
caraway, generally substitutes lemon juice for the vinegar, and often
includes powdered red chili]

Recipe Breakdown (i haven't made this)

carrots, cleaned
salted water to cover
fresh oil for frying, either olive or sesame
white wine vinegar
crushed garlic
caraway seeds, crushed - or cumin seeds (my preference)
(salt to taste)

1. Cut the carrots across into pieces
2. Cut each piece in half lengthwise.
3. Cook carrots in salted water until just tender.
4. Drain and dry carrots.
5. Put vinegar, garlic, and seeds in a saucepan and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Fry carrots in a pan with fresh oil.
7. Then pour hot vinegar with crushed garlic and caraway over carrots.

MY NOTE: This would look nice with flat-leaf parsley chopped and
tossed with the carrots before serving.

---------------------

Minted Cucumber Fresh Pickle

Original
al-Baghdadi,

Modern version by Anahita bint 'abd al-Karim al-Fassi
Serves 50-75

5 lb. medium cucumbers
salt
water
white wine vinegar
1 very large bunch fresh mint

1. Wash and peel cucumbers. (peels are usually bitter)
2. Cut cucumbers in half and scoop out the seeds.
3. Cut cucumber halves into 1/4" thick "moons".
4. Put cucumbers in a food safe container.
5. Sprinkle cucumbers with salt and toss.
6. Tear up mint leaves.
7. Add mint leaves to cucumbers and stir.
8. Cover cucumbers with equal parts of water and vinegar, enough to
cover cucumbers, and stir well.
9. Let stand at least several hours.
10. Once pickled, must be kept in refrigerator. Will only keep a couple days.

I think it would be good drained and tossed with shredded fresh mint
when it's time to serve.

---------------------

Carrot, Orange & Radish Salad
Modern Moroccan Recipe
Serves 8

This isn't Medieval, but i'm very fond of it

NOTE: If you have the facilities, take the ingredients and tools and
prepare on site. It might travel ok if not made too far ahead of time
- say, one day - and kept chilled.

1 lb Carrots, peeled & shredded
2 large Oranges, cut into bite-sized chunks - Blood Oranges are good
2-3 bunches red  Radishes, sliced
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
2 tablespoons Orange Juice
1 tablespoon Orange Flower Water
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon, or to taste
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped

Peel and grate carrots.
Slice radishes.
Peel oranges, remove all outside membrane carefully, so as not to
break segments--if using blood oranges, remove seeds. When fruit is
free of membrane, carefully lift out and place in serving dish. As
orange juice comes out, save it in a bowl.
Combine carrots, oranges, radishes & cilantro in a salad bowl.
Mix juices with sugar, flower water, cinnamon and salt to taste.
Pour over the salad.
Cover and chill. (well, I don't bother with this at events)
Serve sprinkled with cilantro. Alternately, you could use chopped
flat leaf parsley.