[Sca-cooks] Real bacon

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:26:09 PDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:12:19 -0400, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
<adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:

> Canadian Bacon, by the way, is supposed to be identical to back
> bacon, until someone decided to cut off the best part of it and use
> it for something else, leaving behind a nearly-fat-free eye of the
> loin. In Canada, though, I believe this heresy is not practiced; it's
> just "bacon", and functionally identical to belly or back bacon. I
> guess it's like English Muffins in England: they do have them, but
> don't bother calling them English. Duh! ;-)
>
> Adamantius
>
> --
>   "Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy -- or go on Prozac?"
>         -- Susan Sheybani, assistant to Bush campaign spokesman Terry
> Holt, 07/29/04

Yeah, they call "canadian bacon" ham in Canada.  The only thing that I
could find that they called "canadian" at least in the Ottowa or Toronto areas
(where my sister has lived and we go grocery and farm market shopping)
was this stuff that looked like bacon rolled in cornmeal that they eat.

I was re-introduced to "side bacon" while I was there.  Very nice stuff,
high meat content.  I've been lookin for this same stuff in GA since I got
here, but with no luck.

Also, to make commercial bacon less watery, I place the slices between
paper towels
in the fridge for a few hours  and it seems to help a lot.

Also, beware of the various "flavored" and "smoked" bacons that are commercially
available.  Most of these are just chemicals added with the water to
make it taste that
way.

Cadoc