[Sca-cooks] looking for middle eastern

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Oct 7 18:43:11 PDT 2004

>Hi there.  I am looking to plan an event for this year in which it will have
>a definite middle eastern theme (thousand and one arabian nights,
>Concordia's crystal snowflake ball).  I am looking to instead of a feast
>provide what amounts to a never ending buffet through out the day and was
>wondering what suggestions people might have as to where to look for
>recipes, recipes or dishes.

You can find quite a lot of worked out period Islamic recipes in the
Miscllany, webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/miscellany_pdf/Miscellany.htm

I also have a 13th c. Andalusian cookbook webbed at:

http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian_contents.htm

If you want the fun of working out recipes yourself.

Some of the things in the Miscellany that might work for your purpose
include barmakiya, which is a thin layer of meat and onions between
two thin layers of bread (as I make it, at least), and Khushkananaj,
Murakaba, hais, and hulwa, which are all desert sorts of things. But
you should really look through the recipes and decide for
yourself--there are a lot of them.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com