[Sca-cooks] period sandwich?

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Oct 8 01:17:00 PDT 2004

>Cariadoc mentioned:
>>Some of the things in the Miscellany that might work for your purpose
>>include barmakiya, which is a thin layer of meat and onions between
>>two thin layers of bread (as I make it, at least), <snip>
>Huh? I haven't had a chance to go look this up in the Miscellany,
>but this sounds like a sandwich.

My fault--I should have been clearer. It's more like a pasty than a
sandwich, since it is all baked together.

You roll out two layers of dough--oil is an optional ingredient, so
something in the bread to pastry range. You put the filling, which is
a cooked mixture of fine cut meat and onions and stuff, on one layer,
put the other layer on that, seal the edges and bake in the oven.

>Which I thought was post-period. What am I missing? Does this have a
>broth poured over it, or some such, that it can't be picked up and
>eaten in the hands?

It can be picked up and eaten in the hands--frequently the hands of
my children.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com