[Sca-cooks] Interesting medieval food article

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Oct 8 07:54:52 PDT 2004

> > Yes, it was. At least for peasants, and for noblemen, too, I suppose, if
> > there wasn't a feast going on. Spices were way expensive. OK, you can always
> > season with herbs. But if salt is equal in price with gold, everyday-food
> > will be bland (at least to modern palates).
>
> Mustard.  Garlic.  Horseradish.  Verjus/vinegar.  And, as you mention, herbs.

Note that a household consisting SOLELY of 2 priests and their servants
got through TWO POUNDS of pepper in one year, according to C. Anne
Wilson.

I'm not sure who came up with the idea that Salt was equal in price to
gold; I'd like to see a citation for that...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have always maintained that librarians are the ultimate
share-your-toys people, and that the worst punishment you could inflict
on any of us is to offer to show us an incredibly useful free resource
but only if we swear not to tell another living soul about it."
-- Marylaine Block