[Sca-cooks] Interesting medieval food article

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 17:21:29 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: "Kai D. Kalix" <kdkalix at gmx.de>

> Ok, on second thought & second reading:

> > Medieval food was bland.

> Yes, it was. At least for peasants, and for noblemen, too, I suppose, if
> there wasn't a feast going on. Spices were way expensive. OK, you can always
> season with herbs. But if salt is equal in price with gold, everyday-food
> will be bland (at least to modern palates).

Mustard.  Garlic.  Horseradish.  Verjus/vinegar.  And, as you mention, herbs.

I'm not an expert on the economics of salt, but take a look at the chart on this page:
http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/munro5/SPICES1.htm
In 15th century England, a pint of salt cost half a penny, at a time when a mason earned 6-8 pence per day.  For comparison, the same chart says that a gallon of milk or a pint of butter cost a penny, and a chicken cost five pence.  I think salt was well within the means of the working class.

I don't know what salt prices were like elsewhere.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net