[Sca-cooks] Interesting medieval food article

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Wed Oct 6 14:11:35 PDT 2004

Ok, on second thought & second reading:
Medieval food was bland.
Yes, it was. At least for peasants, and for noblemen, too, I suppose, if
there wasn't a feast going on. Spices were way expensive. OK, you can always
season with herbs. But if salt is equal in price with gold, everyday-food
will be bland (at least to modern palates).
Medieval chefs were lousy when it came to presentation.
ok, I can't contradict that one. When I look at what presantation means to
modern or even SCA cooks, I can only read medieval descriptions and stare at
what my imagination presents.
Myth No. 3: Medieval feasts were merely big.
You can't proove a negative.
Myth No. 4: Medieval feasters ate off pewter plates.
Again: not so wrong as he puts it.
Myth No. 5: Medieval feasters had atrocious manners.
Oh yes they had. There are laws against murder because people murder other
people. There are medieval 'laws' against any type of behaviour he lists
because there was such behaviour.
Myth No. 6: Medieval feasters ate in set courses.
OK, easy to set this off: except for great feasts, there were set courses,
rereadable e.g in the Rule of Saint Benedict.
Myth No. 7: Medieval people ate food they couldn't possibly have eaten.
Ok, can't say anything gainst that 'cept for the taters eaten by hobbits...
;-)
kai

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee

+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl