[Sca-cooks] Interesting medieval food article

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 8 10:35:38 PDT 2004

Also, as I understand it, salt was pretty much a commodity like any other,

>with its price varying depending on how close to the source you lived, and
>with certain grades of salt being preferred as being more exotic. If you live
>on the seacoast, any peasant with the time to dry it can have salt, but the
>Lord of the Manor might prefer to serve salt from the salt mines halfway
>across Europe- and vice versa.
>
>Saint Phlip,
>CoD

One of the things in the to do pile that I have to write-up is article
on Slovenians selling
salt at the seashore. We went down to the saltworks on the coast in
July. I have several
dozen photos of how it was done. I also bought all the books available.
http://www.uvi.si/eng/slovenia/background-information/slovenian-sea/secovlje/
http://www2.arnes.si/~kppomm/frames/english/english.htm

One of the factors that also comes into play with regard to these works
is the fact that the Venetians wanted to
keep a monopoly on salt, so they would sail over to the saltworks,
establish a contract
and then come back for all the year's production. Everyone was then
expected to buy the salt
from the Venetians at the price they set. Of course there was always
some salt smuggled
out under cover of darkness to destinations north and east to people
that didn't want to buy their salt
through Venice at Venice's prices.

Johnnae