[Sca-cooks] Wheelchairs- OT- was Cooks Symposium Dec 4

KazOShea at aol.com KazOShea at aol.com
Sun Oct 10 15:52:57 PDT 2004

I do seem to recall a few years ago a gentleman had brought up this issue
before regarding a local group and the site they were using not being fully
accessible since he was in a wheelchair. I became involved with this alsong with
the disablilites coordinator for our local group fo rthis event. We tried to get
the local group to actually do something for this person, I should say
persons because there were supposed to be others that would have difficulties with
the stairs on the site to the social area. This situation was brought up to the
kingdom coordinator, the regional & kingdom seneschal's. The whole response
by them officially was taht the SCA is not accountable under the ADA. I ended
up building the ramp for the persons so they could access the social area,
which was also the area where court was being held.
The thanks I received for this was to be ostracized by the group I belonged
to, the ramp I had built and was going to sell to the site was instead torn
down by members of the groups I belonged to, and then the lady who was the
coordinator and myself were ambushed at the next business meeting and mocked by the
local seneschal. After some bitter debate I was reimbursed for my expenses for
the ramp, not the selling price of the ramp.

As far as I know there was a complaint ffiled with the ADA, I do not know
what has happened regarding it, the person has since left the country.

So all I can say is raise a stink about it and write the officers that are
pertinent to the situation. Unless this problem is brought up continually and
loudly the folks that are in charge are not going to listen.

Thank you for your time

iago