[Sca-cooks] looking for middle eastern

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Oct 10 16:16:17 PDT 2004

Was written:

> Hi there.  I am looking to plan an event for this year in which it will
have
> a definite middle eastern theme (thousand and one arabian nights,
> Concordia's crystal snowflake ball).  I am looking to instead of a feast
> provide what amounts to a never ending buffet through out the day and was
> wondering what suggestions people might have as to where to look for
> recipes, recipes or dishes.

1001 Nights contains a story in which a feast is described in detail dish by
dish.  Years ago I ran a cross a book with a title like "Feasts of the
Past", "Food in Literature" or some such that detailed the story and
"redacted" portions of the feast.  The story as I recall it is that someone
is invited to feast and the dishes are laid and the host describes the
dishes to the guest and mimes eating but there is nothing on the plates.
This goes on and on until the guest finally remarks upon the state of
affairs and then the feast is actually served.  Such a story might be of use
mayhaps?

Daniel