[Sca-cooks] looking for middle eastern

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 13 09:08:58 PDT 2004

Daniel Phelps wrote:

>Was written:
>
>>Hi there.  I am looking to plan an event for this year in which it will
>>
>have
>
>>a definite middle eastern theme (thousand and one arabian nights,
>>Concordia's crystal snowflake ball).  I am looking to instead of a feast
>>provide what amounts to a never ending buffet through out the day and was
>>wondering what suggestions people might have as to where to look for
>>recipes, recipes or dishes.
>>

>1001 Nights contains a story in which a feast is described in detail dish by
>dish.  Years ago I ran a cross a book with a title like "Feasts of the
>Past", "Food in Literature" or some such that detailed the story and
>"redacted" portions of the feast.  The story as I recall it is that someone
>is invited to feast and the dishes are laid and the host describes the
>dishes to the guest and mimes eating but there is nothing on the plates.
>This goes on and on until the guest finally remarks upon the state of
>affairs and then the feast is actually served.  Such a story might be of use
>mayhaps?
>
>Daniel

I believe you are referring to THE LITERARY GOURMET by Linda Wolfe, a
friend of my late Aunt Evelyn's as it happens. I seem to recall that
chapter of 1001 Nights was included.  Great book;  it got me started
with the idea of redacting historical recipes in the first place.  It is
back in print and available through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067167353X/102-4600067-3133720?v=glance

Selene