[Sca-cooks] Regarding the Size of Rissoles

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Oct 11 08:00:39 PDT 2004

Also sprach Barbara Benson:
>Greetings,
>
>It is always interesting when someone relatively new to the whole
>cooking gig starts playing with recipes. Especially when the recipe is
>one that you have worked with long enough to consider it a given.
>
>Whenever I have made rissoles for a feast I have used won ton wrappers
>for conveniences sake, but even when I have seen them done from
>scratch they always seem to be about that same size. This good gentle
>asked me why everyone makes them so small? He thinks that it is
>unnecessary extra work because you need to have at least 3 - 5 per
>person to have a serving. He wants to make them more the size of a egg
>roll so that 1 - 2 would be a meal.
>
>I think it is a very interesting idea - and my question here is
>weather or not anyone has seen anything in a period source that states
>or implies how big a rissole should be or was in period?
>
>Barring that, what size would you make them and why?

I'm not aware, offhand, of any dimensions given for rissoles in
recipes, although cuskynoles, which have been argued to be a variant
of rissoles, are measured at three fingers wide by a palm-and-a-half
long, which, using my hand, is about 2.5 inches by 5.5 inches. A
little larger footprint than an egg roll, but not much, and also
flatter, I suspect, so probably an approximately similar volume and
mass.

Other factoids to throw in the mix would be that whenever I've seen
rissoles used as an entree, an entree serving seems to be three or so
(in the Alec Guinness movie "The Captain's Paradise", a plate of
rissole, mash and, I believe, sprouts is something of a plot element,
and it''s shown in closeup, although these are not, of course,
medieval rissoles), and then there's the consideration that there's
probably a practical size limitation on how much cold filling will
cook and/or reheat before the pastry burns in the frying oil. You can
adjust the oil temperature up to a point to address this, but there
are limits.

I'd make them about the size of a Scotch Egg, myself, and for me, the
preferred commercial wrapper is an empanada wrapper.

Adamantius

--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04