[Sca-cooks] Regarding the Size of Rissoles

Margaret Rendell m_rendell at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 12 16:09:05 PDT 2004

> I'm not aware, offhand, of any dimensions given for rissoles in
> recipes, although cuskynoles, which have been argued to be a variant
> of rissoles, are measured at three fingers wide by a palm-and-a-half
> long, which, using my hand, is about 2.5 inches by 5.5 inches. A
> little larger footprint than an egg roll, but not much, and also
> flatter, I suspect, so probably an approximately similar volume and mass.
>
> Other factoids to throw in the mix would be that whenever I've seen
> rissoles used as an entree, an entree serving seems to be three or so
> (in the Alec Guinness movie "The Captain's Paradise", a plate of
> rissole, mash and, I believe, sprouts is something of a plot element,
> and it''s shown in closeup, although these are not, of course,
> medieval rissoles), and then there's the consideration that there's
> probably a practical size limitation on how much cold filling will
> cook and/or reheat before the pastry burns in the frying oil. You can
> adjust the oil temperature up to a point to address this, but there
> are limits.
>
> I'd make them about the size of a Scotch Egg, myself, and for me, the
> preferred commercial wrapper is an empanada wrapper.
>
> Adamantius

sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology again, but I had difficulty
with this thread at first, not realising that a 'rissole' might be
something in pastry. So if US 'rissoles' are wrapped in pastry, what
would you call an Australian rissole: basically a large
meatball/roundish hamburger patty fried in a pan or grilled (I think
you'd say 'broiled')?
And what is an egg roll?

Margaret/Emma