[Sca-cooks] Regarding the Size of Rissoles

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 17:46:48 PDT 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:09:05 +1000, Margaret Rendell
<m_rendell at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology again, but I had difficulty
> with this thread at first, not realising that a 'rissole' might be
> something in pastry. So if US 'rissoles' are wrapped in pastry, what
> would you call an Australian rissole: basically a large
> meatball/roundish hamburger patty fried in a pan or grilled (I think
> you'd say 'broiled')?
> And what is an egg roll?
>
> Margaret/Emma

Downhill, usually.

Uhm,  an eggroll is deep fried wrapped asian food,  Usually cabbage, sprouts,
pork, wrapped in what is called an eggroll wrapper (rice based w/ egg) and then
deep fried. The meat is typically cooked before adding it to the roll,
veggies are
raw.

Dimensions are anywhere from 1.5 to 2 inches in thickness and about 4-5
inches long, depending on the wrappers you can find. If you can find wonton
wrappers, they should be in the same section of your grocery.

I think they are Filipino in origin and became popular in the US after WWII.

I have seen then with everythin from beef to shrimp in them as well.  Even
scrambled eggs.

Cadoc