[Sca-cooks] Drakey's Disasters- was Evil Science Projects etc

marilyn traber 011221 phlip at 99main.com
Wed Oct 13 17:57:34 PDT 2004

> Craig Jones wrote:
>

> > Maybe one day I'll make it to New York... Maybe I might look Adamantius
> > up when I'm there...
> >
> > Mind you, I know SCA people here who are more accident prone and in
> > casualty more than I, they just don't admit it...

Drakey, I'm sure many of us are injured frequently. Every time I teach on the
forge, I acquire a burn or three- it's something I know is going to happen,
just like I know at the end of the day, my face will be black from charcoal
dust and smoke, and there'll be an assortment of happy people wandering
around showing off what they made. The difference is that we smiths know,
going in, that we're doing something dangerous, and do it anyway. You, on the
other hand, have a talent for making the safest activities into a potential
disaster.

Your average smith, rassling with vice grips and a piece of recalcitrant
steel, is not going to apply serious amounts of pressure in a direction
that's likely to cause him to be hit in tender areas- or if they do,
certainly not twice in 10 minutes, any more than the typical serious cook is
going to cut themselves by cutting towards their anatomy.

Now, there's one smith I tease a bit, Oso- have you heard this story, Selene?
It seems that Oso was doing some forge welding. Now forge welding is one of
those things that only works properly if the steel is clean, the flux
properly applied, the fire right, you're holding your mouth right, and your
Sun isn't in opposition to Mars. Oso was happliy welding, and one of his
students said, "Hey, Master Oso." And Oso said, don't interupt- it's
welding." The student said, "But Master Oso..." "I'm welding- don't bother
me". "But Master Oso, you're on fire". "So put it out- I'm busy".

Now, this is the reason why I blame the California fires on Oso- I figure he
was trying to forge weld the San Andreas fault together...

I just had a horrible thought... Those Aussie fires a while back... Drakey,
were you playing on the barbie?

But, Drakey, the reason you're such a wonderment, is that you can take the
most innocuous activity and turn it into a disaster. Who else can coldcock
themselves opening a refrigerator door? Or stab themselves in the nose, doing
a simple sewing job?

Drakey, you need a keeper...

Saint Phlip,
CoD