[Sca-cooks] Regarding the Size of Rissoles

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 15 19:27:45 PDT 2004

--- Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:09:05 +1000, Margaret Rendell
> <m_rendell at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > sorry to drag out inter-kingdom terminology again, but I had difficulty
> > with this thread at first, not realising that a 'rissole' might be
> > something in pastry. So if US 'rissoles' are wrapped in pastry, what
> > would you call an Australian rissole: basically a large
> > meatball/roundish hamburger patty fried in a pan or grilled (I think
> > you'd say 'broiled')?

>From what I can gather about the Rissole, in both period and modern texts, there is no 'one true
Rissole'.  Some rissoles are composed of fruits or meat wrapped in pastry, some are fruits or meat
mixed with a batter (very much like a fritter), and some are simply shredded/chopped/mashed
ingredients formed into patties and fried.

In Le Menagier de Paris, 'Ordinary Rissoles' are composed of figs, raisins, roasted apples and
walnuts, formed into patties and fried in fat.

In all cases, however, the concoction seems to be browned in fat, and seems to support the notion
that, regardless of size, a Rissole is anything which is browned in fat.  It seems to be a very
generic term, even in antiquity.  Fr. rissoler (to brown in fat)

So, in this context, your 'Australian' beef patty could be construed to fit the description, as
well.  There is no precedent that all Rissoles need to be covered in pastry.  Some were, and some
weren't.

'Ordinary Rissoles' are included on my period menu for the first Saturday of Estrella, if anyone
would care to sample them.  Just drop by The Fray encampment anytime after sunset.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.