[Sca-cooks] Charcoal forge suggestion ;-)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 16 23:58:04 PDT 2004

Phlip replied to me with:
> Well, since you brought it up, Stefan ;-)
>
> One of the easiest ways to set up a forge in your back yard, without
> irritating the neighbors TOO much, is to set up a charcoal forge in an
> old barbecue grill.
>
> Start with an old grill, take out all the grill parts, if it's gas,
> set a
> brake drum down in it (you may have to reinforce the bottom, if it's
> flimsy),
Yep. That is why I saved my old gas grill when we moved rather than
dumping it. Although I'm probably going to try the idea of coating the
inside with kitty litter (an easy source of clay) soaked in water
rather than the brake drum. Although I guess I'm might go to the
junkyards and see what I could find in brake drums. I had been
comparing this to the stand-alone brake drum forges. The gas grill
looks innoculous and is already nicely supported on a nice cart with
wheels.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas