[Sca-cooks] bread documentation

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 21:32:33 PDT 2004

Cadoc asked:
> Hey, I am looking for books specifically on medival food artisans,
> mostly bread, but can be practically anything.  I'm looking more
> into documentation on the places food was made and the how.
Hmmm. I'm not exactly sure what details you are looking for, but
perhaps these Florilegium files might give you a place to start:
p-cooks-msg       (43K)  3/18/02    Comments on specific period cooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/p-cooks-msg.html
occupations-msg   (29K)  7/12/99    Lists of medieval occupations.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/occupations-msg.html
taverns-msg       (41K)  3/21/02    SCA and period taverns.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ENTERTAINMENT/taverns-msg.html

And a couple of books from my library which might be of interest:

Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World
Bennett, Judith M.
ISBN: 0-19-512650-5
Oxford University

Women brewed and sold most of the ale drunk in medieval England, but
after 1350, men slowly took over the trade. By 1600, most brewers in
London, as well as in many towns and villages, were male, not female.
Drawing on a wide variety of sources, such as literary and artistic
materials, court records, accounts, and administrative orders, this
book describes how brewsters (that is, female brewers) slowly left the
trade. She tells a story of commercial growth, gild formation, changing
technologies, innovative regulations, and finally, enduring ideas that
linked brewsters with drunkenness and disorder. Examining this instance
of seemingly dramatic change in women's status, Bennett argues that it
included significant elements of continuity. Women might not have
brewed in 1600 as often as they had in 1300, but they still worked
predominantly in low-status, low-skilled, and poorly remunerated tasks.
This book uses the experiences of brewsters to rewrite the history of
women's work during the rise of capitalism.
<<<

Inns, Ales and Drinking Customs of Old England
Hackwood, Frederick W.
ISBN: 1-85170-069-2
Texas Bookman

Restaurateurs and Innkeepers (Work Througout History Series)
Franck, Irene M.
ISBN: 0-8160-1451-5
Work throughout history series
Facts on File, Inc.