[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 15:53:39 PDT 2004

A Japanese style of knife that I've suddenly seen produced by many
Euro manufacturers is a Santoku.  "Santoku actually means 'three
benefits', which you could translate as mincing, slicing and dicing,
or that it can be used for meat, fish and vegetables." (
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=198379 )

This is the style most often shown in the Kershaw Shun knife
advertisements.  It's basically the 10" chef knife of Japan.  It's
also most likely the type of blade referred to by William in a related
thread as a "japanese 'vegetable knife'."

Curiously, I first found the Santoku when hunting for a Chinese
cleaver.  If you've ever heard Martin Yan gush about the things you've
probably given one a try or wanted to.  I never did develop a love for
the heavy paddle thing.  In the same section as the cleavers were a
number of more streamlined Japanese blades ( and Chinese knock offs )
that looked a little like chef's knife meets cleaver.  I took one home
and have favored the style ever since.

Personally, I'd try to figure out what style works for you.  Most
French chefs are taught a love ye ole' 10" and rarely vary from the
design, but do upgrade quality over time.

So, find an Asian market and visit their cutlery section, I often find
them by rice cookers and faux porcelain plates.  They can be cheap,
about ten dollars American.  They'll last pretty well, but probably
wont take an edge.  This is actually the sign of any cheaper knife.
However, while they have that edge, they'll be perfectly serviceable
and let you get a feel for if you want a keeper.

I do still have a ten year old paddle shaped Chinese cleaver.  It's a
little dull and wont take an edge. ;)  However, I can happily whack
the cheap old thing against a knobby joint with gusto for satisfactory
results.  For me, that's the fun of a cleaver anyway.

Hope this helps,
Wistan