[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Mon Oct 18 20:03:09 PDT 2004

James <thebard3 at earthlink.net> [2004.10.18] wrote:
> I’m writing this because I need to replace a few of my worn out knives.
> Have a few handles that have come loose and a few knifes where the tang
> wasn’t thick enough. My main deal is that I don’t care for knives that
> are stainless, and can’t afford the high carbon stainless. I was

I've never seen the high carbon steel Sabatiers in real life (all the
good shops around here that even admit to their existance claim them as
special order items), but I am quite happy with my 8" and 10" chefs from
one of the real incarnations of Sabatier (I am told there are at least
5 companies in France selling knives as Sabatier, some good, some not).
I find that I use the 8" chefs for 90% of my cutting, but that is my
style.

> And as far as the other knife discussion going on. NEVER put a knife
> through the dishwasher unless it’s made to take the heat! You’ll take
> all of the temper out of the blade.

Ok, I've heard this, but the temperatures are AFAIK way to low to
accomplish this. Would the highly alkaline environment do it? Mechanical
damage is of course an issue, but that is never addressed when this
issue is discussed.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org