[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Mon Oct 18 20:23:30 PDT 2004

Patrick Levesque <pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca> [2004.10.19] wrote:
> Given that if I'm smart enough to find it, a 5-year old can get there before
> I will...
>
> Where and How do you guys store your knives to prevent children from messing
> around with them?

On a wooden magnetic strip about 6' over floor surface (and a few more
in a block on the counter). My theory is to combine reducing access with
suitable explanations ("knives are dangerous, don't touch them" for my 2
year old). I suppose I could do some version of what appears to have
worked with the woodstove (hold her hand firmly next to it and explain
the danger: I have actually caught her "testing" it once to se if it was
hot) and cut my finger as a demonstration once I'm certain she
understands that cuts are to be avoided.

But then my philosophy is reduce unnessesary risks (and take all
reasonable steps towards eliminating the risk of fatal or delibitating
accidents), try to explain, and let the inevitable learning happen. If
my children shall end up safe around my woodworking tools, kitchen,
chainsaw, backwoods campsites (fire, knives, axes, saws...) there is no
way I can bring her up in a cocoon of safety.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Reunite Gondwanaland!