[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Oct 19 04:42:04 PDT 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>I'm thinking of getting a couple of Henkles for myself, as I've
>completely fallen in love with the medium-sized one a dear friend gave
>me for my birthday this year.  I don't need a huge set of knives, so I'm
>puzzling, now, over what the other knives should be, size-wise.  I'm
>thinking, at minimum, a paring-sized knife and a chef's knife? Of should
>I be looking for a larger (than 3) range of knives? I'm either
>cooking for myself, or doing an occasional SCA feast.  I'm
>competent, but not a gourmet, so I know I don't need any of the
>fancy filleting knives, etc.
>--maire

My mother uses Henkels; when I was a kid absorbing this kind of
information from her, they were _the_ brand to get, or at least they
represented a favorable price-quality ratio.

At home, I use the knives my lady wife is comfortable with, which she
bought for herself, probably in the mid-1970's:

an 8", high-carbon, non-stainless Sabatier chef's knife, which takes
and holds a lovely edge easily, but which has me thumping my knuckles
on the cutting board occasionally -- the heel of the blade is fairly
narrow, maybe 1 3/8 inches, tops. In general, an 8-inch chef's knife
is a good choice for women, who tend to have smaller forearms and
hands then men, all other things being more or less equal.

a 6-inch Sabatier chef's knife which is otherwise the twin of the
8-inch. I sometimes use it as a paring knife, but I expect many
people would look at it as a "utility" or a "tomato" knife. As a
chef's knife, it's pretty silly for anyone without really small hands.

I also use a mid-sized Chinese cleaver for vegetables and light
bones, and a Fiskar fillet knife (which had been my father's), which
I use for most boning and filleting purposes. I also own, but rarely
use, an ulu.

Strangely enough, I also own (inherited) a strange little Hoffritz
cleaver that was probably all the rage among cooks in the 1960's, but
which appeared, until recently, to have little or no purpose. It has
a small, broad blade, but a radial arc cut-off of the leading, front
lower corner, so it looks a bit like a teeny, tiny chopping knife.
After a little work on the edge (basically making it more
acute/sharper, since it's a bit too light to use for the kind of
dull-edge bone-hacking commonly done with American cleavers), it's
great for boning chickens. I still don't know what it was originally
intended for.

For working away from home, my tool roll generally includes:

a 14-inch Victorinox scimitar for scaring people (it looks a bit like
the large curved knives you sometimes see in medieval illustrations
of carvers)

a 12-inch, surprisingly light, high-carbon "stainful steel" Medal
d'Or chef's knife, probably dating from the 1930's, sort of a giant
version of the Sabatiers I use at home, but with what is today a
distinctive design with a tubular grip and a single, peened tang end
instead of the more usual rivets. You see knives like it in old
photographs of Escoffier.

the infamous 10-inch Dick, high-carbon stainless, easy to dull but
also easy to repair.

a 12-inch Victorinox salmon slicer

a 12-inch Forschner serrated knife for bread

2 7-inch Dick boners (sorry, that's a standard professional term),
one stiff (again, sorry) and one flexible. I confess I tend to use
the flexible one more often. Design-wise, they're pretty similar to a
fillet knife. (There was that time when the same culinary instructor
who had asked a gaggle of young female students if any of them had
seen, or was currently making use of, his 10-inch Dick -- totally
oblivious of too-common slang applications -- accused the same young
ladies of making off with his stiff 7-inch boner, and then demanding
to know what they were laughing about, because somebody making off
with a fellow's stiff 7-inch boner was no laughing matter. You can't
make this stuff up.)

2 paring knives, one being my 3-inch Dick, and the other a Wusthof,
which I believe I acquired accidentally (I must have accidentally
stolen it from some fellow student or co-worker, and by the time I
realized it wasn't the Dick parer it closely resembles, I couldn't
find anyone missing a knife).

The Dick knives were part of a set of tools I bought on a student
discount from J.B. Prince & Co. I don't know if they'd have been my
first choice otherwise, but they've been good knives over the years.

Oh, and I almost forgot: the Brazilian Tramantina mini-machete I
hollow-ground and shortened slightly, which is the tool of choice for
winter squashes, melons, pumpkins, rutabagas (are you seeing a
pattern here?) and chickens that are still frozen.

Adamantius

--
"As long as but a hundred of us remain  alive, never will we on any
conditions be brought under English rule.  It is in truth not for

Holt, 07/29/04