[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Oct 19 08:13:10 PDT 2004

> All of this has also raised a question in my mind, given that I have one
> young child already, and hopefully one or two more to come eventually.
> Given that if I'm smart enough to find it, a 5-year old can get there before
> I will...
> Where and How do you guys store your knives to prevent children from messing
> around with them?

I'm an aunt and a klutz, so I have thoughts on the best way to handle
knive storage to avoid excessive injury...

A nice heavy knife block is the best method I've found, because it
requires someone to be both tall enough and coordinated enough to pull
a knife out... and generally if they can do that, the person is likely
to have enough sense to know how to use a knife with _relative_ safety.
It's also helpful to avoid accidents like cutting your fingers open on
knives stored in a drawer (even though putting them in a top drawer
would mean a small kid would need a climbing stool to get into it), or
having a knife left on the counter where adults or children can
accidentally knock them onto feet or other people.

I agree that teaching kids how to use a knife safely is your best bet
for your own kids... but when it comes to kids who haven't yet mastered
forks, crayons, etc, it's better for everyone's peace of mind to know
they aren't going to pull a knife out when your back is turned. :)
ESPECIALLY if they have siblings. :)

-- Jadwiga, who thinks that knives shouldn't be left out where your
klutzy friends can knock them onto their toes, either.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Well," the Goddess said, "your heart didn't heal straight the last time
it broke. So we'll break it again and reset it so it heals straight this
time." - Diane Duane. _Door into Shadow_