[Sca-cooks] A question about knives

Dianne & Greg Stucki goofy1 at suscom.net
Tue Oct 19 10:57:47 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wanda Pease" <wandap at hevanet.com>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 11:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Sca-cooks] A question about knives

  I don't have children, and it doesn't
> occur to me that the knife that is on the table for opening that package
> of
> books might pose a hazard.  Knives, guns (loaded!  Remember I don't have
> children, nor are they a part of my life), books and magazines all live a
> cozy little life together here.  If you and your cotton wool wrapped child
> happen to come to visit for a moment, there are dangerous things all
> around
> them (the owner of the house most of all!)

I don't wrap my children in cotton wool. I don't have bumpers on the corners
of my coffee table (and yes, we have had stitches resulting from
head-meets-coffeetable) and and I don't hide my scissors. Any child who
colors in one of my good books is going to be in danger from ME. (The walls,
OTOH--well, it's their home too...lol)

But I also don't court danger in MY house. I do put up knives, and drain
cleaners, and the various things that can kill in an instant. I certainly
wouldn't expect you to child proof your home--if you tend to leave things
like loaded guns in the open, I'm probably going to find a sitter anyway,
which would make the visit less tense for both of us. Heck, my kids make ME
tense some days!

> I cut my little finger open and cut the tendon at about 5 years old trying
> to slice an orange.  The kitchen ceiling still had blood on it 40 years
> later when we sold my parents house.  The top joint still doesn't bend. I
> still have the knife.  Big deal! It didn't even come close to killing me.
> Your kid is going to get hurt.  Fall out of trees (neighbor across the
> street cut all hers down for that reason!), trip over their new Nike's.
> It's part of growing up and exploring the world.  It's part of the reason
> children are supposed to come with parents to teach them, friends to dare
> them, and other adults to commiserate with them.
>
> Children have had access to knives since there have been knives.  Many of
> us
> have to learn the hard way, but it's not a life and death situation!
>
> Give your kid a good sharp knife and teach them to keep it sharp.  I was
> taught that knives are at their most dangerous when dull.
>
> Have some faith in your children and teach them instead of hiding
> everything
> in the house!

Unfortunately, some lessons can't be unlearned. A child here in York was
killed the other day when he found a loaded handgun on top  of a kitchen
cabinet and shot himself in the face.

Laurensa