[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Tue Oct 19 20:32:10 PDT 2004

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <adamantius.magister at verizon.net> [2004.10.19] wrote:
> an 8", high-carbon, non-stainless Sabatier chef's knife, which takes
> and holds a lovely edge easily, but which has me thumping my knuckles
> on the cutting board occasionally -- the heel of the blade is fairly
> narrow, maybe 1 3/8 inches, tops. In general, an 8-inch chef's knife
> is a good choice for women, who tend to have smaller forearms and
> hands then men, all other things being more or less equal.

I actually found a 8" Sabatier that had a sufficiently wide blade that
is was useable with my hands; I agree that most of them does not share
this feature. But I've been using the "top" grip quite a bit the last
few years, making the blade width less of an issue. The grip is made by
grabbing the blade just front of the handle between the thumb and first
knucke of the (curled) first finger, and then wrapping the rest of the
fingers around the handle.  I've seen several pivtures of pros using
this grip, and like the combination of control and power.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
"Never do this with a combine"
          -- Linda de Boer, with an arm inside a powered-on laser printer