[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 23:13:59 PDT 2004

--- UlfR <ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org> wrote:

 But I've been using the "top" grip quite a bit the last
> few years, making the blade width less of an issue. The grip is made by
> grabbing the blade just front of the handle between the thumb and first
> knucke of the (curled) first finger, and then wrapping the rest of the
> fingers around the handle.  I've seen several pivtures of pros using
> this grip, and like the combination of control and power.

This is the grip I use, for most tasks.  Drawing the first knuckle towards you, or pushing the
thumb away from you, allows you to pivot the knife when making delicate cuts or carving melons.  I
have also found that this grip is best (for me, anyway) for chopping large amounts of parsley or
other fresh herbs, as it allows me to chop fatser by 'bouncing' the handle of the knife against my
palm while chopping.  A fairly loose grip on the blade itself facilitates free up-and-down
movement of the blade, and this also saves wear and tear on the wrist.  Of course, two knives
working at the same time is even faster :)

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.