[Sca-cooks] Herby things

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 20 06:57:43 PDT 2004

Judith Kirk wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I'd like to have an informal poll :-)
>
>If you had the opportunity to buy culinary herbs or spices (in
>person, not via mail) that you don't normally find at your local
>store, but they could be ones you find at Pennsic, what might they
>be? E.g. juniper berries..and then, what quantity? Half ounce?
>Ounce?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Siobhan

I usually purchase my "exotic" herbs and spices from the East Kingdom
Pepperer's Guild...usually in 8 oz lots...these include long pepper,
cubebs, grains of paradise, sanders, poudre fort (theirs is excellent!!)
and juniper berries.  I did have a need a couple of years back for
asafoetida and Tsaoko or Chinese cardamon and had to search the Web for
a source.  With things like these latter, I purchase either what the
recipe calls for or the quantity that the herb/spice comes in.

Kiri