[Sca-cooks] Grain mills - thank you!

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 06:58:57 PDT 2004

>From what I have seen, it doesn't heat the flour up much at all and I
have used the flour almost as it was coming out of the machine.

It uses an impact mill instead of burrs to break up the flour so you don't
have the grain being rubbed against, just battered about till it is fine.

You literally just set how fine you want the grain,  Make sure the receiving
container is hooked up (important step) and go.

It can be done while half asleep, with complete safety, it made a complete
granola out of my sister.

Tho if you are grinding your own grain - just watch out how much bread you
eat.  Certain dietary changes do take place.  (you are increasing your
fiber intake considerably)

Dunno about the hand mills.

Cadoc

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:43:09 -0400, Tara Sersen Boroson
<tara at kolaviv.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the responses on the grain mills.
>
> I like the sound of the Whisper mill, Cadoc.  From what I'm reading
> online, many of the electric mills really heat up the flour and destroy
> a lot of the nutritional value - negating the whole point of grinding my
> own.  But, I read on one webpage that the Whisper doesn't heat it up.
> Does that concur with your experience with it?  (Side note, Cadoc, can
> you e-mail me privately?  You said you're looking to move back to PA if
> you can find a job... send me your resume!)
>
> Otherwise, I'm torn between the Diamant, which is the most expensive
> thing on the market ;) but, it is an heirloom quality kind of item and
> appears to be one of the easiest hand-mills to use, as well as grinding
> super fine for a metal burr; Or the Sunshine Nugget because it has stone
> as well as metal burrs (and is much more affordable than the Diamant!)
>
> No matter what I choose, it won't be until at least tax return time...
> And I already promised myself a KitchenAid mixer when that time comes.
> And we're getting a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog pup in December (they
> were born on Friday!) so this might all be wishful thinking at the
> moment...  Oh, well, a girl can dream!
>
> --
> Tara Sersen Boroson
>
> 'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman
>
> [T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf

                                    - William Gibson