[Sca-cooks] casting

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Oct 20 07:55:13 PDT 2004

>However, rather than explicitly heating the mold in the oven or
>ever, I recommend simply pouring in the pewter a few times. This
>will heat the mold sufficiently so that soon you should get clean
>castings. The first ones, done into the cool then warmer mold, I
>simply recycle by tossing them back into the melting pot.

That's ok is you are using soapstone which is anhydrous, but not so good if you are using clay or plaster molds, which absorb water from the air, and especially not possible if you are doing "investment" casting, were the mold can't be reused (Investment casting is done often in Jewelry making).

Capt Elias

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery