[Sca-cooks] Re: Herby things

smcclune at earthlink.net smcclune at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 11:20:43 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
> Judith Kirk wrote:
>
>> If you had the opportunity to buy culinary herbs or spices (in
>> person, not via mail) that you don't normally find at your local
>> store, but they could be ones you find at Pennsic, what might they
>> be? E.g. juniper berries..and then, what quantity? Half ounce?
>> Ounce?
<<<

I have to put in my vote for long pepper.  It's the only one for which I haven't been able to find a local, walk-in source.

Otherwise, between the local "health food" stores (Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Vitamin Cottage, etc.), and that little "new age" paraphernalia shop (for folks in the Denver, CO area, Herbs & Arts down on Colfax carries, cubebs, grains of paradise, galingal and sanders), I can pretty much get everything I need locally, and in bulk, too.

For the person who was having trouble finding cardamom pods, if your town is big enough to have a middle eastern market, you might check there.  Same for star anise, cumin, coriander, etc.

As far as quantities, I generally buy things an ounce at a time.  More than that, and it gets old before I can use it up.  The exception, of course, is around the holiday season when I sometimes mix up various spice powders to be given out as gifts.  Then I might buy as much as 3-4 ounces of something at a time.

Do remember that herbs and spices lose flavor and fragrance as they get older; herbs and powdered spices are best used within a year or so.  Whole spices keep their flavor better.  And of course, everyone knows the basics of herb/spice storage, right?  Keep them in a cool, dry place, and store them in glass or ceramic containers whenever possible (note that the oils from some spices can react badly with some plastics).

Arwen

(who still misses her herb garden, but there are *some* compensations for city life!)