[Sca-cooks] Another knife question

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Oct 20 13:16:28 PDT 2004

> Using this type of motion, though, does affect the length of blade
> the user will tend to find most comfortable. As I believe I briefly
> mentioned earlier, many women seem to prefer an 8" blade over a 10"
> blade, and while the weight of the blade is often an issue, another
> is a big change in the arc motion of the hand, by changing the radius
> of that arc.
>
> But as for the Mysterious Barking of the Knuckles, it may simply be
> that Sabatiers, all other things being equal, are made for people
> with smaller hands, and this fact (if it is a fact) might be muddied
> a bit by the grip of a chef's knife, which generally doesn't involve
> all four fingers and the thumb wrapped around the grip.
>
> Adamantius

When I went looking for knives to replace the horrid laser-cut
never-need-sharpening things my MiL gave me, I found that the Henckels and
Wusthof handles were too big for my hands. I ended up with Chicago
Cutlery. My sweetie, who owns Henckels, does not like them, because he
says the handles are too small. He particularly does not like the chef's
knife, which has an 8" blade, whereas I dislike his chef's knife, which
has a 10" blade.

What I have noticed is that if you have a smaller hand, specifically if
your palm is smaller, then a smaller handle is still more comfortable to
hold, and it feels more secure. At least in my experience.

Margaret FitzWilliam