[Sca-cooks] Herby things

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 23:15:25 PDT 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Let's face it, Bakersfield does not represent the whole of So-Cal in
> general where food culture is concerned.

Thank the lords for that!  Although, our dining culture is slowly becoming more...well..cultured
:) Give it time, I guess..

Anyway, I will certainly take you up on your offer of a cook's tour!  My business partner and I
(both SCAdian) would be very, very interested in hooking up with you for this sort of adventure.
After the Holidays would be preferrable, but I could probably fit in a weekend or so before then
if that's best for you.  Just let me know when you have the time, and we'll see if we can't get it
together.

Now, on to other things:  After Samrah mentioned the availability of 'oddities' here locally, my
lady friend and I went out on a little hunting expedition of our own.  I was able to find whole
nutmeg, star anise and true cinnamon (what a difference in aroma and flavor), as well as some
Achiote, which is not 'medieval' per se, but I do use it quite a bit around the kitchen.  This was
at an Albertson's, no less!  I will be hitting the local Indian market tomorrow, as I have still
been unable to find Bulgur Wheat for my Taboulleh (Teboule, whathaveyou), and I'm assuming they
will have it.

Another interesting thing I found, which I had not seen before, was pre-cooked Polenta.  I just
stood there looking at it for about 5 minutes, wondering...'why???'.  And then, it hit me...
people are generally lazy, and that's cool, because it keeps me employed :)  The polenta comes in
a tube, like a hamburger chub or a cookie dough.  I guess oyu just slice a piece off, throw it on
the grill, etc..  Interesting.

I also found Irish Oatmeal, which is apparently a simple steel-cut whole grain.  I had never
thought to look for it here, because I didn't think Bakersfield was 'cosmopolitan' enough to
actually stock something which didn't come pre-cooked, pre-chewed and damned near pre-digested.

Still no Cardamom pods or cubebs, though... but I think I may find them tomorrow.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.