[Sca-cooks] Herby things

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 20 10:43:13 PDT 2004

Let's face it, Bakersfield does not represent the whole of So-Cal in
general where food culture is concerned.  Of course, it has its high
points, like Harris Ranch Beef and those interesting Basque family
restaurants!  However, you need to come with me on a "cooks tour" some
time.  There are Middle Eastern and Asian stores in the San Fernando
Valley which can fill most of these.  At least part of the year, you can
get the ginger-related rhizomes [galingale, turmeric] fresh in the
produce department of 99 Ranch Market, a Chinese-run grocery chain. We
would also get galingale powdered,   Cubebs and lots of other things at
Herb Products Co. in North Hollywood. <www.herbproducts.com>, where most
local herb shops buy their stuff wholesale anyway.  Anything we could
not find at these places, we look at India Sweets & Spices in
Northridge, including every curry ingredient you can think of and
several that you can't, available in serious bulk quantities.   I don't
think they have long pepper though, so we might have to go "Over The
Hill" to Olivier & Co. store at  The Grove at Farmer's Market for them
and other interesting comestibles, mostly olive-related.

I will try to announce a weekend trip some time when there is not a
major event going on [ha!] and I have some buck$ to spend.  Or maybe if
you feel like playing hooky from Queen's Champion we could set something up.

Best, Selene Colfox