Anise v. Star Anise Re: [Sca-cooks] Herby things

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Oct 21 11:00:05 PDT 2004

> Aniseed could probably be substituted for star anise, but I would taste
> carefully because it is strong stuff!  I have only found star anise for
> sale pre-ground in a Chinese market.

Bear in mind that period European recipes that call for anise or aniseed
are calling for Pimpinella anisum, regular anise. Star anise does not
appear to have been imported to Europe in the period covered by the SCA.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sybil: "Have you been upsetting people?"
Vimes: "I think I may let people upset themselves."
Sybil: "Good for you. You do that so well." -- Terry Pratchett