[Sca-cooks] Herby things

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 21 11:14:16 PDT 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Aniseed could probably be substituted for star anise, but I would
> taste carefully because it is strong stuff!  I have only found star
> anise for sale pre-ground in a Chinese market.
> Me:

I got the actual stars from Penzey's...and I wouldn't substitute
aniseed...I think the flavors are somewhat different.

> No, it is actually illegal in the US due to some claim of a parasite
> in the citrus-like tree on which they grow.  That would be an issue in
> citrus-growing states like mine!  I'm wondering if they grow it in
> Australia, Japan or other places and if it is legal if it is not from
> China proper.  Other names include "flower pepper" or "Japanese Sansho
> pepper."  I have not tried this spice but it is supposed to have some
> bite and some liquorice-type flavor, which is why they substitute
> aniseed for it in Chinese 5-Spice you get here.
> Looking for spice in my life, Selene in LA

I can get sansho pepper at most oriental grocery stores.  In fact, I
just bought some a couple of weeks ago.  I haven't tried to buy the
Szechuan pepper in quite some time and didn't realize that they were the
same.

Kiri