[Sca-cooks] Herby things

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 21 14:46:47 PDT 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
>Aniseed could probably be substituted for star anise, but I would taste
>carefully because it is strong stuff!  I have only found star anise for
>sale pre-ground in a Chinese market.

Seems to me they taste rather different. Star anise is milder and
sweeter than anise seed, and i find it far more tolerable (yeah, i'm
one of those that strongly dislike anise).

Re: Sichuan peppercorns
>Other names include "flower pepper" or "Japanese Sansho
>pepper."  I have not tried this spice but it is supposed to have some
>bite and some liquorice-type flavor, which is why they substitute
>aniseed for it in Chinese 5-Spice you get here.

As has already been posted, sansho is related to Szechuan pepper, but
different. And in my experience it doesn't taste like anise in the
slightest. One of its interesting characteristics is that it numbs
the tongue a bit.

I recently had sushi  of rise wrapped in nori with a filling of
pureed umeboshi and a fresh sansho leaf, and of course a dash of
wasabi. Interesting combination!

Anise and Szechuan pepper don't substitute for one another at all, as
far as i can tell. Anise sometimes is substituted for star anise
because anise is way cheaper and easier to get.

There's a relative of Szechuan pepper that is used in Batak cooking
in North Sumatra, Indonesia, called andalimon. So far i don't know of
it used elsewhere in Indonesian cooking. It was in the saksang (a pig
dish that contains nearly every part of the pig, including squares of
skin - some still had a little hair on) that i ate every day for 10
days when visiting my then-husband's village on the shores of Lake
Toba.

Anahita