[Sca-cooks] Re: Sugared Nuts

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Oct 22 13:23:04 PDT 2004

On Oct 22, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Elise Fleming wrote:

> Doc replied:
>> Was only repeating what one mistress told me. Perhaps there was a
>> sampling error in my data collection ;-)
>
> Or, more likely, it was one large, vocifierous Laurel who oohed,
> aahed, and
> ate lots of the saffron ones and made lots of noise about how delicious
> they were.  They were super!!!  May I have the recipes??  Please???

Certainly!  The basic recipe is the one I got from Rumpolt (see below).
  For the flavorings, I added 2-3 tablespoons rosewater to the sugar
syrup for the almonds, a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon for the
hazelnuts, and one whole jar of saffron (.1 oz? - the standard bottle
from the grocery - about $8 worth) for the walnuts.

http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/almonds.html

Sugared Almonds

1 pound almonds, blanched and peeled
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. rose water
dash cinnamon  (I think I left this out for the batch of almonds I made
for Pennsic)

Mix sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Simmer
until the syrup reaches 225°F, then add the rose water and set heat to
low. Then put the almonds into a large pan over low heat. Add the syrup
to the almonds a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring them
constantly and allowing them to dry out before adding more. As things
progress then shaking the pan may work better than stirring it. When
the almonds are completely coated sprinkle with cinnamon and allow to
cool.

Source [Ein new Kochbuch, M. Rumpolt, M. Grasse (trans.)]: Almonds
coated. [...] Of assorted roots that have a welltasting scent/smell. If
you wish such comfits to coat with sugar so take a clean copper vessel
that has two handholds hang it in the height on a rope at both
handholds set a glow kettle with glowing coals thereunder put the
comfits into the vessel and make it fine warm pour nice clarified
(clean) sugar thereto and stir it often therewith till the confits the
sugar takes to it so it becomes nice white and dry. Also coats one
assorted grains with sugar and assorted spices so it becomes good and
also welltasting.

Mandeln vberzogen. [...] Von allerley Wurtzeln die ein wolgeschmackten
geruch haben. Wenn du ein solches Confect wilt vberziehn mit Zucker so
nim[m] ein sauber töepffern Becken das zwo Handhaben hat hengs in die
höeh an ein Strick zu beyden Handhaben setz ein glut Kessel mit
glüenden Kohlen darvnter thu das Confect in das Becken vnnd machs fein
warm geusz schöen geläeuterten Zucker darzu vnd rüer es offt darmit
bisz das Confect den Zucker an sich nimpt so wirt es schöen weisz vnd
trucken. Also vberzeucht man allerley Korn mit Zucker vnd allerley
Gewüertz so wirt es gut vnnd auch wolgeschmack.

- Doc

  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)
  http://www.medievalcookery.com/