[Sca-cooks] Re: sugared nuts

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Oct 22 17:28:44 PDT 2004

When I make sugared nuts, I use the recipe (modified slightly) in the
candy section of the Joy of Cooking.  Into my largest frying pan (9"
cast iron), I put 2 c. of granulated sugar and 0.5 cup of water, and 1
teaspoon of spice (the recipe recommends cinnamon, but I tend to use ras
el hanout).  Cook over slow heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to
a good boil.  Stir in 1 lb of unblanched nuts (I generally use almonds,
'cuz I can get them cheap at CostCo, but they also recommend peanuts or
hazelnuts), and stir until well coated.  If you keep stirring, the syrup
hits this wierd point where, I'm guessing, the water all
evaporates--looks very much like pale "brown" sugar or turbinado.  At
that point, I scoop the nuts (which should have a pretty good, sugary
"crust" at this point) into a stainless steel bowl to cool.  If you've
got clumpage, you can break them up pretty easily when they're cool
enough to handle.
The left-over sugar "sand" can be re-used, too.
--maire