[Sca-cooks] OOP - Pumpkin pie question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 24 15:09:38 PDT 2004

I think the original question asked whether a traditional Pumpkin Pie called for Evaporated, or
COndensed milk.  And, to this I have to reply:  It all depends on which recipe you are using.
Basically, the canned milk products called for in most of the 'label recipes'is Evaporated Milk,
but can be substituted, cup for cup, with milk OR Cream.  I never use evaporated or condensed milk
in ANY cooking I do (I don't like the 'cooked' taste of the milk), and have never had any problems
using regular, whole milk or heavy cream (undiluted).  In fact, the heavy cream makes a better
pie, in my opinion.

Buttermilk, by the way, is a stellar addition to the traditional Pumpkin Pie, as well.  If you
have not tried it, I highly reccommend it.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.