[Sca-cooks] OOP - Pumpkin pie question

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 07:32:36 PDT 2004

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:31:57 EDT, corwynwdwd at aol.com <corwynwdwd at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 10/24/2004 3:03:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:
> If these are liquified by adding more water, how is the diluted
> cream better on the Atkins diet than the diluted milk
> The cream has a lower carb count than the milk, because it's mostly fat. IF
> (mind you, I don't have the numbers in front of me) you have cream with six
> grams carb per cup, and milk with ten, and you dilute them, by half, the numbers
> are still less for the cream.
>
> There are lower carb milks available in some areas, I assume you could use
> those too. Cows milk is in fact higher in carb count than human I believe. I
> THINK goat milk is less (don't hold me to this, just someting I remember
> reading), but it's hard to get and frankly, I think it would effect the taste.
>

> Corwyn

These values are based on a 1 cup measurement - all numbers are in
total grams of carbs (out of roughly 233-244 grams of weight):

 16.95 - Human
 10.86 - Goat
 11.35 - cow - 3.5% milkfat
 12.18 - Cow - 1% milkfat
 10.41 - Half and Half
 8.78  - Cream - light
 3.35  - Cream heavy/whipping
166.46 - canned condensed milk (306g per cup total)

Data courtesy of the FDA Nutrient Data Laboratory:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

I use this site to help with my diet planning a lot.  You can
get goats milk in most dairy sections now, I know the
supa Walmart in the rural section of PA I lived in even had
goats milk.  I haven't looked here in GA.  One thing to be
aware of with goat's milk is that it goes wrong quickly and
is very unforgiving. (But it makes cheese very easily for this
same reason)

Cadoc
(who can't sleep and lives on a backwards schedule)

                                    - William Gibson