[Sca-cooks] Carrots and feasts for me

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 16:57:15 PDT 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:13:22 +0000, nickiandme at att.net
<nickiandme at att.net> wrote:
> For me - cooked carrots are right out.  However a limited amount of raw carrots is okay.  It seems to be the breakdown time of the cooked carrot v/s the raw fiber processing of the raw carrot that does me in.  IE: It travels more whole through my system than cooked does. So the raw carrot does not spike my blood sugar as much as cooked carrots do.
>
> My feasts from here on out will feature a lot more in the greens department as they have few sugar carbs in them and I will have more nuts for protein/garnish, and whole wheat breads with next to no sugar - ie: a teaspoon added to proof my yeast.  So, my feasts will actually become more vegetarian friendly than they have been in the past - although there will still be plenty of meat.  I'm just going to sneak in fish more often - ie: grilled slabs of salmon and tuna or other large food fish.  Which, depending on the country of origin I am cooking from will add to the medieval recreation of some of the special feasts from period. They ate a lot more seafood and freshwater fish than we americans do today.
>
> Kateryn

I have served roasted carrots at feasts before.  just washed, with the skins on.
They actually retain their composition more when they are roasted.  I roast
them at 450 till they are done, and then serve them with a vinagrette.
 The whole
thing is listed in Milham's Platina under the section for carrots.  And as my
most current whine goes, I can't find my book, but Platina goes into
great detail
about what should be served at what time of year and what should be drunk
with it.  But Platina's menu structure is more like the modern italian diet than
the northern european.  Much more balanced.

The feast menu from the Rabisha fascimile I have is very meat intensive.  But,
if it were a lenten or fish-day feast it would not be so.

I really want to do a lenten feast some day so I have an excuse not to serve
meat, just fish.  It is just a pain though and costly and not everyone will eat
it.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson