[Sca-cooks] Historic Near East Spice Boxes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 23:06:49 PDT 2004

Selene asked:
> You suggest the camping box of each of these pack white sugar?  How
> white was their sugar, or do we have any actual idea?   I tend not to
> go
> lighter than turbinado when using cane sugar at all for the SCA milieu,
> and prefer to put Piloncillo cones on the table.  But that's just me.
Perhaps you might be interested in some of the previous discussions
about this.
sugar-msg        (112K)  3/25/04    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-msg.html
sugar-sources-msg (16K)  6/13/01    Modern sugar sources. Sugar types.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/sugar-sources-msg.html

> I find Zaatar as an independent breed of Marjoram, "Origanum syriaca"
> on
> the following seed catalogue page:
>
> http://www.genesisseeds.com/organicseed/herbs/
> catalog_culinaryherbs.htm
Perhaps this file might be of interest as well:
za-atar-msg       (17K)  7/31/01    A Middle Eastern spice mixture
using za-atar
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/za-atar-msg.html

Stefan
--------