[Sca-cooks] Re: honeybees

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 28 09:45:41 PDT 2004

Greetings All!

I have just joined this list (actually rejoined from many years past). I
am afraid that I missed the beginning of this discussion, but for those
interested, here is a list of Old Testament references to honey.

Aoghann

> <>--- Devra at aol.com wrote:
> (No documentation by chapter and verse, just general memory.)
> Devra

Genesis 43:11
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=GEN+43:11&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Then their father Israel said to them, "If it must be, then do this: Put
some of the best products of the land in your bags and take them down to
the man as a gift-a little balm and a little *honey*, some spices and
myrrh, some pistachio nuts and almonds.
Exodus 3:8
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EXOD+3:8&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to
bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land
flowing with milk and *honey*-the home of the Canaanites, Hittites,
Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites.
Exodus 3:17
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EXOD+3:17&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
And I have promised to bring you up out of your misery in Egypt into the
land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and
Jebusites-a land flowing with milk and *honey*.'
Exodus 13:5
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EXOD+13:5&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
When the LORD brings you into the land of the Canaanites, Hittites,
Amorites, Hivites and Jebusites-the land he swore to your forefathers to
give you, a land flowing with milk and *honey*-you are to observe this
ceremony in this month:
Exodus 16:31
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EXOD+16:31&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
The people of Israel called the bread manna. [ *16:31* [Manna] means [
What is it? ] (see verse 15). ] It was white like coriander seed and
tasted like wafers made with *honey*.
Exodus 33:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EXOD+33:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Go up to the land flowing with milk and *honey*. But I will not go with
you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on
the way."
Leviticus 2:11
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=LEV+2:11&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
" 'Every grain offering you bring to the LORD must be made without
yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or *honey* in an offering made
to the LORD by fire.
Leviticus 20:24
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=LEV+20:24&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
But I said to you, "You will possess their land; I will give it to you
as an inheritance, a land flowing with milk and *honey*." I am the LORD
your God, who has set you apart from the nations.
Numbers 13:27
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=NUM+13:27&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
They gave Moses this account: "We went into the land to which you sent
us, and it does flow with milk and *honey*! Here is its fruit.
Numbers 14:8
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=NUM+14:8&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
If the LORD is pleased with us, he will lead us into that land, a land
flowing with milk and *honey*, and will give it to us.
Numbers 16:13
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=NUM+16:13&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Isn't it enough that you have brought us up out of a land flowing with
milk and *honey* to kill us in the desert? And now you also want to lord
it over us?
Numbers 16:14
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=NUM+16:14&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Moreover, you haven't brought us into a land flowing with milk and
*honey* or given us an inheritance of fields and vineyards. Will you
gouge out the eyes of [ *16:14* Or [ you make slaves of ] ; or [ you
deceive ] ] these men? No, we will not come!"
Deuteronomy 6:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+6:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Hear, O Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you
and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and
*honey*, just as the LORD , the God of your fathers, promised you.
Deuteronomy 8:8
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+8:8&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive
oil and *honey*;
Deuteronomy 11:9
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+11:9&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
and so that you may live long in the land that the LORD swore to your
forefathers to give to them and their descendants, a land flowing with
milk and *honey*.
Deuteronomy 26:9
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+26:9&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with
milk and *honey*;
Deuteronomy 26:15
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+26:15&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people
Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our
forefathers, a land flowing with milk and *honey*."
Deuteronomy 27:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+27:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Write on them all the words of this law when you have crossed over to
enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, a land flowing with milk
and *honey*, just as the LORD , the God of your fathers, promised you.
Deuteronomy 31:20
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+31:20&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
When I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and *honey*,
the land I promised on oath to their forefathers, and when they eat
their fill and thrive, they will turn to other gods and worship them,
rejecting me and breaking my covenant.
Deuteronomy 32:13
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=DEUT+32:13&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
He made him ride on the heights of the land and fed him with the fruit
of the fields. He nourished him with *honey* from the rock, and with oil
from the flinty crag,
Joshua 5:6
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JOSH+5:6&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
The Israelites had moved about in the desert forty years until all the
men who were of military age when they left Egypt had died, since they
had not obeyed the LORD . For the LORD had sworn to them that they would
not see the land that he had solemnly promised their fathers to give us,
a land flowing with milk and *honey*.
Judges 14:8
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JUDG+14:8&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Some time later, when he went back to marry her, he turned aside to look
at the lion's carcass. In it was a swarm of bees and some *honey*,
Judges 14:9
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JUDG+14:9&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
which he scooped out with his hands and ate as he went along. When he
rejoined his parents, he gave them some, and they too ate it. But he did
not tell them that he had taken the *honey* from the lion's carcass.
Judges 14:18
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JUDG+14:18&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Before sunset on the seventh day the men of the town said to him, "What
is sweeter than *honey*? What is stronger than a lion?" Samson said to
them, "If you had not plowed with my heifer, you would not have solved
my riddle."
1 Samuel 14:24
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1SAM+14:24&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Now the men of Israel were in distress that day, because Saul had bound
the people under an oath, saying, "Cursed be any man who eats food
before evening comes, before I have avenged myself on my enemies!" So
none of the troops tasted food.
1 Samuel 14:25
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1SAM+14:25&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
The entire army [ *14:25* Or [ Now all the people of the land ] ]
entered the woods, and there was *honey* on the ground.
1 Samuel 14:26
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1SAM+14:26&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
When they went into the woods, they saw the *honey* oozing out, yet no
one put his hand to his mouth, because they feared the oath.
1 Samuel 14:29
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1SAM+14:29&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Jonathan said, "My father has made trouble for the country. See how my
eyes brightened [ *14:29* Or [ my strength was renewed ] ] when I tasted
a little of this *honey*.
1 Samuel 14:43
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1SAM+14:43&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Then Saul said to Jonathan, "Tell me what you have done." So Jonathan
told him, "I merely tasted a little *honey* with the end of my staff.
And now must I die?"
2 Samuel 17:29
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=2SAM+17:29&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
*honey* and curds, sheep, and cheese from cows' milk for David and his
people to eat. For they said, "The people have become hungry and tired
and thirsty in the desert."
1 Kings 14:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=1KGS+14:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Take ten loaves of bread with you, some cakes and a jar of *honey*, and
go to him. He will tell you what will happen to the boy."
2 Kings 18:32
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=2KGS+18:32&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
until I come and take you to a land like your own, a land of grain and
new wine, a land of bread and vineyards, a land of olive trees and
*honey*. Choose life and not death! "Do not listen to Hezekiah, for he
is misleading you when he says, 'The LORD will deliver us.'
2 Chronicles 31:5
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=2CHRON+31:5&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the
firstfruits of their grain, new wine, oil and *honey* and all that the
fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything.
Job 20:17
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JOB+20:17&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
He will not enjoy the streams, the rivers flowing with *honey* and cream.
Psalm 19:10
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PS+19:10&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter
than *honey*, than *honey* from the comb.
Psalm 81:16
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PS+81:16&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with *honey* from the
rock I would satisfy you."
Psalm 119:103
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PS+119:103&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than *honey* to my mouth!
Proverbs 5:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PROV+5:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
For the lips of an adulteress drip *honey*, and her speech is smoother
than oil;
Proverbs 24:13
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PROV+24:13&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Eat *honey*, my son, for it is good; *honey* from the comb is sweet to
your taste.
Proverbs 25:16
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PROV+25:16&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
If you find *honey*, eat just enough- too much of it, and you will vomit.
Proverbs 25:27
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PROV+25:27&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
It is not good to eat too much *honey*, nor is it honorable to seek
one's own honor.
Proverbs 27:7
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=PROV+27:7&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
He who is full loathes *honey*, but to the hungry even what is bitter
tastes sweet.
Song of Solomon 4:11
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=SONG+4:11&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Your lips drop sweetness as the *honeycomb*, my bride; milk and *honey*
are under your tongue. The fragrance of your garments is like that of
Lebanon.
Song of Solomon 5:1
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=SONG+5:1&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride; I have gathered my
myrrh with my spice. I have eaten my *honeycomb* and my *honey*; I have
drunk my wine and my milk. [Friends] Eat, O friends, and drink; drink
your fill, O lovers.
Isaiah 7:15
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=ISA+7:15&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
He will eat curds and *honey* when he knows enough to reject the wrong
and choose the right.
Isaiah 7:22
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=ISA+7:22&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
And because of the abundance of the milk they give, he will have curds
to eat. All who remain in the land will eat curds and *honey*.
Jeremiah 11:5
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JER+11:5&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Then I will fulfill the oath I swore to your forefathers, to give them a
land flowing with milk and *honey*'-the land you possess today." I
answered, "Amen, LORD ."
Jeremiah 32:22
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JER+32:22&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
You gave them this land you had sworn to give their forefathers, a land
flowing with milk and *honey*.
Jeremiah 41:8
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=JER+41:8&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
But ten of them said to Ishmael, "Don't kill us! We have wheat and
barley, oil and *honey*, hidden in a field." So he let them alone and
did not kill them with the others.
Ezekiel 3:3
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+3:3&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Then he said to me, "Son of man, eat this scroll I am giving you and
fill your stomach with it." So I ate it, and it tasted as sweet as
*honey* in my mouth.
Ezekiel 16:13
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+16:13&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine
linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was fine flour,
*honey* and olive oil. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen.
Ezekiel 16:19
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+16:19&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Also the food I provided for you-the fine flour, olive oil and *honey* I
gave you to eat-you offered as fragrant incense before them. That is
what happened, declares the Sovereign LORD .
Ezekiel 20:6
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+20:6&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out of Egypt into a
land I had searched out for them, a land flowing with milk and *honey*,
the most beautiful of all lands.
Ezekiel 20:15
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+20:15&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
Also with uplifted hand I swore to them in the desert that I would not
bring them into the land I had given them-a land flowing with milk and
*honey*, most beautiful of all lands-
Ezekiel 27:17
<http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=EZEK+27:17&language=english&version=NIV&showfn=on&showxref=on&interface=print>
" 'Judah and Israel traded with you; they exchanged wheat from Minnith
and confections, [ *27:17* The meaning of the Hebrew for this word is
uncertain. ] *honey*, oil and balm for your wares.